Day 1: Sacred Valley (Pisac – Moray – Salt Mines – Ollantaytambo) – Aguas Calientes
Your guide will pick you up from your hotel at 7:30 am with our private van and head to the Sacred Valley of the Incas, taking the route to Pisac. Our first stop is the Mirador of Taray to enjoy a beautiful view of the Sacred Valley, which stretches from Pisac to Ollantaytambo. Next, we head to the Pisac Archaeological site, where you can see the biggest Inca cemetery with more than 2,000 tombs. There we can admire the hand-carved farming terraces on the side of the mountain, explore the Inca tunnel, and the religious site of this important Inca ruin. Here, we will spend approximately 1.5 hours exploring the Inca city. Then, we visit the colorful Pisac market, which is the largest in the area, and see unique different handicrafts before driving to Urubamba for lunch.
After lunch, we visit Moray, which was an experimental farming site built in the form of an amphitheater, which each level naturally with a different temperature to grow different types of crops. These levels of terraces were carved before the Incas took control of the Sacred Valley and then used by the Incas to research optimal growing conditions for their crops.
We continue our journey to the colonial town of Maras, walking downhill to the pre-Inca salt mines. Over three thousand salt ponds have been used for salt extraction since before Inca times and still supplies Peru with over 90% of its salt. A hot spring at the top of the valley trickles a stream of salty water, which is diverted into salt ponds and evaporated to produce salt. Finally, we drive to Ollantaytambo, to explore this traditional Inca village, and the amazing Inca Ruins with our English-speaking guide.
You will have time to eat dinner in Ollantaytambo, or get takeout to eat on the train. Then, at 7pm, we will take the train to Aguas Calientes, where we will spend the night in a hotel.
- Hotel Accommodation: Wiracocha Inn or Intipunku Tambo
- Meals: Not included
Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
On this exciting and early day, we will take the 5:30 am shuttle bus to Machu Picchu, arriving in time for the sunrise. This is a magical experience that you won’t want to miss! Our guide will give you a 2.5-hour private tour, teaching about the history and secrets hidden away by the Incas, who once resided there. Then, you have plenty of time to take pictures on your own.
Here are some other activities you can do on your own:
- Climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain and enjoy the amazing views of Machu Picchu from above. (Book in advance)
- Walk to the Sun Gate, 2 hours round trip or the Inca Bridge, 1 hour round trip. (No additional fee)
- Other optional activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the new local museum or to the hot springs. (Entrance fee to enter)
When you are ready, you will depart Machu Picchu and descend to Aguas Calientes. You can have a relaxing lunch and explore Aguas Calientes before boarding the Expedition train that departs at 14:55 or 15:20. You return to Ollantaytambo Train Station, where your driver will meet you and then we will drive you 1.5 hours back to your hotel in Cusco, arriving at approximately 7:00pm.
- Meals: breakfast
- 3* Accommodation: Waman or Mataq Wasin Hotel
- Meal: Breakfast
DAY 3: CUSCO – RAINBOW MOUNTAIN – CUSCO
We will pick you up from your hotel at 4 am and begin our incredible Rainbow Mountain Trek Adventure! We set out on our 3-hour scenic drive through the South Valley, where you will see amazing views of farming Inca terraces, valleys, and rocky mountains.
Once we reach the trailhead, we have a hot breakfast before beginning our hike along a flowing stream. You will enjoy the rural scenes and herds of alpacas and llamas all around you. You will have continuous views of the Ausangate Mountain as we hike through different villages and interact with the indigenous people, who are still living in their traditional lifestyle.
We reach our destination – the Rainbow Mountains (5,020m /16,466ft) after a 1.5-hour hike uphill. After being awed by their beauty, you will have time to explore the area. You can take pictures and savor the environment. We will spend approximately 30 minutes at the top.
At this point, we hike for another 1 hour back down the way we came. While you have been hiking, your chef has been preparing your hearty and delicious lunch. Our lunch and private van will be waiting for us when we return.
We will begin our scenic 3-hour drive back to Cusco and drop you off at your Cusco hotel, arriving around 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm, depending on how fast you hike and how long you wish to stay at the Rainbow Mountain site.
- Meals: hot breakfast & lunch
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Pick up from your hotel
- Tours of Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu
- Rainbow Mountain Trek
- All entrances for Archeological Sites
- Private transportation for all tours
- Round Trip Expedition Train Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
- Hotel accommodation with breakfast in Ollantaytambo, Aguas Calientes, Cusco
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Roundtrip bus ticket Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu
- Professional English-speaking guide
- 2 hot meals at Rainbow Mountain – breakfast and lunch
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Meals not indicated on the itinerary
- Entrance fee to the hot springs of Aguas Calientes (optional)
- Ticket for Huayna Picchu – $75 USD
- Ticket for Machu Picchu Mountain – $75 USD
- Upgrades train/hotel – For Vistadome train add $57 USD per person
- Tips for your guide
The Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu & Rainbow Mountain tour is available on any date as long as we have a minimum of 2 people!
|No. OF PEOPLE||PRICE|
|2 to 8 people (with 2 nights hotel)||$ 617 USD per person|
|2 to 8 people (without hotel)||$ 547 USD per person|
***All entrance fees are included and we operate our tours in small groups averaging 5 people, with a maximum of 8!***
- Under 18 years old: $30 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: $40 USD. Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Huayna Picchu Climb: $75 USD. This needs to be booked in advance, let us know at the time of booking.
- Machu Picchu Mountain: $75 USD. This needs to be booked in advance.
- Upgrade to Vistadome Train: $57 USD. (Aguas Calientes to Poroy at 4:43pm)
- Upgrade hotel – 3 star: $45 USD (Can upgrade to 4 or 5 star also)
- Hotel single supplement: $30 USD 2* and $45 USD 3* for solo travelers
Please read the following information carefully. It will help answer many of your questions about our services and Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu & Rainbow Mountain Tour.
ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
We will pick you up from the Cusco airport and take you to your hotel in Cusco. Please let us know your flight details at least 14 days before arrival. Our representative will be holding an orange sign reading ORANGE Nation outside the arrivals. You must exit the terminal to find our representative as they cannot enter. (Please let us know if your hotel is in the Sacred Valley so we can make the necessary arrangments).
The Briefing will be the night before the trek at 6pm in our office which is located at Calle Santa Teresa Nº383; 107 (first floor), next to SUBWAY sandwich shop. We share a lobby with the Casona Corrales Boutique Hotel.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
ABSOLUTELY!! During the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu & Rainbow Mountain tour your main luggage can be kept in our office or stored at your hotel, both are free.
HOW TO BOOK THE SACRED VALLEY TO MACHU PICCHU & THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TOUR?
We will need the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). This information is necessary to purchase the entrance tickets to Machu Picchu the train tickets:
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of $211.00 USD per person in order to purchase your entrance to Machu Picchu and train ticket. You can make you deposit by clicking on the PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the PAYPAL symbols on our booking page.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
It is best if you pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco to avoid the additional 5.5% International Transaction Fee. We have many ATMs within the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service charge, charged by PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account using our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
- According to Peruvian Law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu (students 18 & above need student cards). For example: if you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- All students from 11 to 17 years, the discount is $30.
- For children from the age of 2 to 11 the discount is $40.
- Children under the age of 2 are free.
- All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount.
- Send us a copy at email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Unfortunately No. Once the tickets have been bought, the government does not allow any changes, so we cannot change any departure date after the tickets has been purchased. Tickets are also non-transferable nor refundable. If you cancel your Machu Picchu Tour, the deposit is lost!
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT FOR THE SACRED VALLEY & MACHU PICCHU TOUR?
DEFINITELY!! You MUST bring your original passport with the SAME passport number you sent to us to book your entrance to Machu Picchu, train ticket, other entrances and reservations. They will check when you enter Machu Picchu and to board the train.
In case you are renewing your passport or changing your name, please send us a COPY of your old passport to secure your permit, and we can change it when we receive a COPY of your new passport for a fee of $25 USD per person. We must have a copy of your old and new passport to make the change. Before you change your passport keep a copy of your old one.
If you do not wish to pay this fee you will need to bring both passports to Peru with you. You can enter Peru with your new passport but you will need to show both passports, old and new to enter Machu Picchu or the train. If you do not have both you will not be allowed to enter into Machu Picchu or get on the train.
Remember to check your current passport to make sure it doesn’t expire within 6 months of your arrival to Peru!!! The Government of Peru is enforcing the existing law that requires all foreign travelers to have a passport valid for a minimum of six months past the time of entry into Peru. Peruvian authorities will deny entry into Peru for travelers not meeting this requirement.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE IN THE SACRED VALLEY & MACHU PICCHU TOUR?
The weather is very unpredictable and always changing in the Andes Mountains, so it is difficult to say with any certainty. We recommend that you be prepared for warm weather, possible rain showers (Orange Nation provides rain ponchos) and a warm jacket in case of cold. We recommend that you dress in layers so you may take off or put on clothes as needed.
ARE WE DROPPED OFF AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE SACRED VALLEY & MACHU PICCHU TOUR?
OF COURSE!! We will drop you off at your hotel in Cusco or the Sacred Valley when we return from the tour. We will also pick you up from the Sacred Valley if you are staying there.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip is appreciated. It means a lot to the staff, and their families, who will take care of you during the tour. It inspires better service and is a major part of the tourism industry across many ORANGE Nation destinations. Of course you are free to tip as much as you want, depending how you feel about the quality of service and the length of your tour.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
YES!! We are a local sustainable & responsible tour operator which functions according to the ethical principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the indigenous communities respecting their culture and religion. We have trained all of our staff to know, understand and respect the local communities and the people living there.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING FOR THE SACRED VALLEY TO MACHU PICCHU & RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TOUR
- A small backpack or carry bag (larger not allowed on the train or in Machu Picchu)
- A change of clothing for the second day
- Comfortable shoes
- Water to drink
- Rain poncho (Provided by Orange Nation)
- A fleece or jacket
- Basic toiletries
- Insect repellent
- Hat for the sun
- Some extra money for lunch, snacks and souvenirs
- Original passport (you cannot enter Machu Picchu without it)